Tuesday 28 February 2012

Language of Learning

In recent years I've made a point of challenging the language I use in my formal observations and interpretations to emphasise the depth and value of children's play.

When my firstborn was in NICU, having been born ridiculously early (27+4 weeks gestation some 4.5 years ago now) we were achingly limited in how much we could actually participate in her care. All bar two of the nurses were incredible; sensitive, positive, excited to share every little milestone with us.

One nurse I didn't like fussed around like a mother hen, dismissing my competence in doing my child's cares (changing her nappy, wiping her face, switching her sats monitor to the other foot, really challenging stuff *note sarcasm*). The other that infuriated me had little quirks of language that devalued my time with my daughter. In the early weeks I would be lucky to cuddle my daughter once every 3-6 days. Whilst setting up for one of these fleeting precious snuggly moments, this nurse would refer to them as our "little cuddles". Little. Little? How is something so immensely significant in my starved relationship with my newborn prem 'little'? How could something I'd been desperately craving for 4 or more days be 'little'?

 




Whilst my daughter was petite, there was nothing 'little' about the emotional realm of these touches.

The language we use is significant.

When the babies in my care are exploring water, they're discovering Fluid Dynamics, gravity, conservation of mass.
When they're exploring the wheat packs and chilled river stones in the sensory trough they're experimenting with Thermal Dynamics, and classification, scientific observation.
As they examine photos of themselves, their families, their peers, the staff, the peoples of the world; they're studying Anthropology.



If I can use the formal scientific terms for the concepts these children are exploring, I value their learning as equal to that of a university professor.

To them, their discoveries are no 'little' easily dismissed thing. Their learning and discovery is as vital as breathing, and crammed full of wonderment to boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment